DataXu’s latest research-based report reveals the role of technology in the strategy and day-today operations of marketing teams around the world.
The new report, titled “Modernizing the Mix: Transforming Marketing Through Technology and Analytics,” was created from a survey of 532 marketers based in the U.S., the UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Its findings make it clear that the widespread adoption of a variety of marketing technologies by global marketers is accompanied by both positives and pitfalls.
#1 GLOBAL MARKETING CHALLENGE
Our research revealed that that 41% of global marketers and 37% of U.S. marketers surveyed believe the single biggest marketing challenge facing their organization is creating the most efficient marketing mix possible across channels to drive results.
- A key challenge, according to another 20% of U.S. marketers, is quantifying the effect of marketing efforts on new sales revenue.
- Even with specialized technologies that cover social media, email, digital advertising and a range of other marketing activities, marketers lack visibility into the effectiveness of their strategy and its performance across channels.
NUMBER ONE THREAT TO SUCCESS OF MARKETING TEAM
When asked to identify the largest current threat to their marketing team’s success, a third of global marketers cite poor visibility into metrics on whether or not their marketing is working, or difficulty proving that one channel works better than another channel.
- 23% of global marketers surveyed say their teams are stretched too thin due to managing too many marketing technology platforms/vendors.
- Some marketers indicate that they work with 10 or more vendors or point solutions across the martech and adtech landscapes.
- Notwithstanding their current sense of “technology overload,” marketers indicate that they intend on investing in specific additional marketing technologies over the next 12 months. 46% of U.S. marketers intend to leverage customer insight analytics in 2017, up from 36% today, while the number of U.S. marketers planning to leverage programmatic marketing technologies in 2017 will increase by 10%.Download a complimentary of DataXu’s report titled, “Modernizing the Mix: Transforming Marketing Through Technology and Analytics,” here.