Expanding Television Reach with Connected TV


 

Much has been said about “cord-cutters” recently, as advertisers look for ways to reach a growing portion of the population who have changed their media consumption patterns. For the uninitiated, a cord-cutter refers to someone who has decided to drop their monthly subscription to traditional cable or satellite TV services.

According to Pew Research, 15% of American adults can now be considered cord-cutters. Another 9% fall into the previously unthinkable category of “cord-never,” who are individuals that don’t need to cut the cord as they have never held a subscription in the first place. These numbers become even more pronounced when only young adults (18-29) are scrutinized: cord-cutters reach 19% and cord-nevers add an additional 16%, coming to a grand total of 35% of Americans without cable or satellite subscriptions.Pew Research graph showing growth of cordcutters

As eye-opening as these numbers are, they don’t necessarily speak to a reduction in content consumption as much as a shift in content delivery. In fact, according to Nielsen, overall media consumption time is on the rise despite these factors. This is due in large part to the popularity of streaming video. By the end of 2014, 83% of all US households were streaming video content via one or more devices. Amongst these devices, connected TVs accounted for the greatest level of penetration ahead of computers, tablets, and even mobile phones.

Infographic showing use of different devicesNot only are connected TVs the most prevalent, but amongst these other digital channels, they also represent the most analogous alternative to traditional broadcast TV. Ads are shown in a true “living-room” environment right on the consumer’s TV set, just as if consumption were happening via cable or satellite. Most importantly however, there is little sacrifice in quality between broadcast and connected TV delivery as ads are 100% viewable, fraud-free, and typically reach 95% or greater completion rates.

With access to over 90 channels on all major connected TV devices, as well as partnerships with some of the biggest names in the streaming industry, DataXu is actively addressing this shift in consumption.